When it comes to small spaces in your new home, you need to really think about the design, layout and storage options to take into account every bit of space. At Central Avenue Homes, our in-house designer has the ability to tailer these small spaces to suit your individual budget and taste.
We’ve put together a list of ideas for ideas to make use of small spaces:
Maximise your glass doors and windows
If you have clear glass on your doors and windows, use window treatments that will allow maximum light to your rooms. They will make a room feel open and bright. Sheers (nylons) or simple window tinting are a great way to let natural light in, yet they still allow for privacy. Ceiling to floor sheers (nylons) or curtains (drapes) will lengthen the windows and make them appear taller and larger.
For windows that are not a privacy issue, go for obscure or translucent glass, that way you won’t necessarily have to have window treatments, and you can still have a light area.
Built ins for your storage areas
Storage is one of the most important factors to take into consideration in your new home design, and it’s one of the best mod cons you can build into your new home.
Some common storage ideas include:-
- Built in wardrobes or walk in robes with shelf and rails including half hanging for shirts and trousers
- Floor to ceiling kitchen cabinets (bear in mind you will need steps to reach anything in them)
- Linen cupboards and pantries with 5 shelves instead of the standard 4
- Include Bathroom and Ensuite drawers instead of the standard cupboards only.
- Built in bookcases in a study
- If you have a front loading washing machine, consider having a top only in your laundry to allow the washing machine to be
underneath giving you plenty of space for folding washing, and consider putting the washing machine taps in the cupboard under the trough.
- Consider setting aside a cupboard to house your bin, so that you don’t have to have it on show or in the pantry.
These are all clever storage spaces that can become a fantastic design feature in your home.
Look at innovative kitchen storage solutions
Consider some of the Häfele storage solutions for example, pull out bins and pantries, laundry baskets.
Choose simple furniture items
Simple pieces of furniture with clean lines and no patterns, will make the room feel less cluttered and more relaxing. Consider a bed with storage underneath. either drawers, or a space big enough to slide crates under the bed.
Why not step into the digital age
Gone are the days when we have those old chunky photo albums, on our coffee tables, extensive CD, video and DVD collections, sleek lines and less obvious storage is now the norm with our digital age. Create a photo wall and frame your favourite photos, and scan and save the rest on your computer, hard drive or to your Dropbox account, (remember if you do save them to your computer or hard drive, to back it up!).
The same goes with music, gone are the days of vinyl records, cassettes, and CD’s in today’s digital era, our favourite must movies and TV shows are available with online streaming with iTunes, Netflix, Stan, Presto and Foxtel, the streaming options are endless.
Embrace the space!
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, then Central Avenue Homes is the builder for you.
- Are you tired of trekking through Display Homes all over Perth and checking out lots of web sites?
- Have you already bought your block of land, can’t find a house design to fit your block?
- Are you worried about buying that block in case you can’t find a design to fit?
- Are you just about ready to give up on finding the right house for you?
- Do you want to deal with someone who knows what they are doing and tells you the truth?
- Are you looking for a builder who builds custom designed homes to suit your budget?
- Do you want a builder with a small team who will guide you through the whole process from initial design to the handover of your new home.
No block size or shape is too difficult for us to work with and we offer services for all budgets.